Maybe you want to learn the most popular hairstyles to do for yourself.
Maybe you want to see if you can become a braider, trust me, it's so much fun!
Well, you just need a few things to get started:
- Rubber elastics
- Your burning desire to learn how to braid!
Allow me to give you a run-down of the most popular braids (and in a future post, I'll let you in on what hairstyles I often get requested as well as my braiding toolkit).
1. Dutch Braid
- What it is: A Dutch braid (also called an inverted French braid or pineapple braid) is created when the three hair sections are crossed under each other, instead of over. It results in the look of a braid standing up from the rest of the hair, instead of being under the hair.
- I super love this hairstyle for music festivals, even just going out!
- Learn how: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Air8o2RGyXc
2. Fishtail Braid
- What it is: A fishtail braid resembles a French braid in its smoothly woven appearance, but divides the hair into only two sections instead of three. A small piece of each section is passed over to the other section over and over to form the braid. This style was called the "Grecian braid" in the 19th century.
- Fishtail is super aesthetically pleasing, because everyone who's pointed out hair pics from my IG feed tell me they love the FISHTAIL ones.
- Learn how: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be6jGqWmu4g
3. Rope Braid
- What it is: It looks like a rope. That's it.
- I did this on myself when I attended my first wedding. Rope braid really elegantly elevates your look. I think of two words to describe it, minimalistic sophistication.
- Learn how: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBTJVJgbMt4
4. Pull-Through Braid
- What it is: Despite it's name, it's not actually a "braid", more like a ponytail over a ponytail if that makes sense.
- Another one of those super attractive, distinctive braids. The secret is to pull on the braids a little bit to give it extra drama and OOMPH.
- Learn how: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5koFCjK-RU
5. Infinity Braid
- What it is: It looks like a figure-8. Easier to achieve that it looks!
- Personally still a bit hard for me to do this one. Once achieved though, imagine how many boring ponytails you could jazz up with this?? Also, a very futuristic look in my opinion.
- Learn how: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w5RsAbIPb8&t=109s
Thanks for reading and I hope you learned something!
Share with me what you create! Links to Facebook and instagram are below.
Sources: Pinterest Images, Youtube search, Wikipedia